Answered By: Laura Marek Last Updated: Sep 06, 2016 Views: 2032
HughesNet, Exede (formerly WildBlue and ViaSat), and other satellite internet providers are more prone to cause issues with accessing the library's resources, due to extra features enabled in their setup meant to boost speeds (often called "web acceleration" or "turbo" settings.) The problem arises after conducting a search or attempting to access the full text of an item. Sometimes you may see an error message like "A system problem has occurred: To begin a new session, please login again." It's also common to be "timed out" quickly, and be prompted to login again.
Because modems internet service providers give customers and hardware firmware changes often, we provide here typical steps to disable the web accelerator feature, however these steps may change slightly from modem-to-modem or service-to-service.
Follow the steps below to disable the "Turbo Page" feature in HughesNet's system settings.
For Hughes HT1000 modems, follow these steps:
- Access Systems Control Center (should appear if you enter "www.systemcontrolcenter.com" in your browser).
- Click on Web Acceleration to the left, under Advanced Menu.
- Then, click Control (also to the left, right under the Web Accelaration link).
- Click the box next to Disable Web Acceleration (so there is a checkmark in it), then click Submit.
For Hughes HN9000 modems, follow these steps:
Contact your internet provider's technical support. Ask for help connecting to the university library and let them know that there is a block being produced on the page and technical support should know what to do. After the connection has been established, students might need a "boost" to their connection.
For all other modems:
- In your browser's address bar (where you normally type in website addresses), type in: 192.168.0.1
- Next to a link titled "System Information" click the small “i” icon. This takes you to the Advanced Menu.
- From here, click “Web Acceleration”.
- Select Control
- Then select Enable/Reset
- Click Disable, then OK.
- The Web Acceleration feature should now be disabled.
Restart your browser and try the Library again. This will slow down access to all sites so when you are finished, come back to this page and in the MBX Control area, click “Reset MBX” to restore Web Acceleration.
Exede (formerly WildBlue and ViaSat)
For Exede customers, there are two possible features that should be turned off:
1. Turn off the "optimizer" - click the following link for Exede customer service information and steps on disabling this feature: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/2038
2. Turn off the "Web Accelerator" setting that is built into the modem. You must call Exede and have a customer service representative at Exede disable this option for you. Exede customers cannot do it themselves. Also, if there is a power outage or you have to reboot your modem, the Web Accelerator automatically comes back on and you will have to contact Exede customer service again.
If this does not resolve your login problem, or you have another internet service provider, please contact their technical support services for assistance.