Answered By: Laurie Bastien Last Updated: Apr 17, 2015 Views: 223
VitalSource Bookshelf is available for the Kindle Fire 1 (OS 6.3.1 or later), Kindle Fire 2 (OS 10.1.3 or later), & and Kindle Fire HD (OS 7.1.5 or later).
Currently, the Bookshelf cannot be installed from the Amazon Market Place, so you will need to side-load the Bookshelf onto your device.
Installing the Bookshelf for Kindle Fire 2 or Kindle Fire HD is a two-part process.
1) Ensure that you have enabled 3rd party apps installation within your device's settings
- Swipe from the top of the device
- Select Settings
- Find and select Applications
- Turn on Accept 3rd Party Applications
- Using the Silk Browser, go to the Kindle Fire Download area of VitalSource Bookshelf
- Click Download
- While the app is downloading, swipe down from the top of the screen. You will see the download progress of the app. Click on it immediately (while still downloading). You will be taken directly to the Download Queue.
*If you miss getting to the file while it's downloading, you can still access the Queue by swiping horizontal from the left side of the screen. When you do this, you will get the Silk Browser menu. Touch Downloads and you will see the file to download. Select and download.
- Go to Settings and Synch to make sure the app is added to your device.
- Go to Apps, Recently added, and find the Bookshelf icon.
- Touch for a few seconds and a pop-up should ask if you would like to add it to the home screen. You will want to do this.
Please note that VitalSource Bookshelf will NOT work with any e-ink Kindles or any Barnes & Noble Nook devices.